Cinnamon Squares have been by far one of our favourite cereals, so we decided to make our healthier and Kid-Friendly version. These cereals have nothing to envy the typical cinnamon squares we find at supermarkets. Also, they are much healthier: Naturally Sweetened and with wholefood ingredients (oats and nuts). These cereals are high in Omega-3 fatty acids (almost 6 g in the recipe) thanks to the ground flax seeds and walnuts. They are crunchy and perfect to have with fresh plant based milk and fresh fruit like mango and strawberries for breakfast.They are SIMPLE to make, here you have the step by step:
Step 1: Mix ingredients and make the dough.Step 2: Make a rectangle with a rolling pin and baking paper: thickness of approximately 0.5 mm Step 3: With a pizza cutter make squares (2 cm wide by 2 cm high) and separate them before baking Step 4: Bake them at 180ºC until golden and crispy. Then spread cinnamon mixture to them Want to save this Recipe for later? Pin the recipe to your Pinterest boards:If you make this recipe leave a comment and don’t forget to share it on Instagram, tag me @EarthyMaite + #EarthyMaite! I love seeing your delicious recreations 🙂
Healthy Cinnamon Squares, SIMPLE to make. Naturally Sweetened and ONLY with wolefood ingredients.
- 1/2 cup Date Paste (135g)
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour (180g)
- 1/3 cup almonds (40g)
- 1/4 cup walnuts (23g)
- 2 flax eggs (1 flax egg = 1 tbsp ground flax seeds (7g)+ 3 tbsp water)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Process almonds and walnuts until flour. If you do not have oat flour, process this too (180g oats).
- Combine Date Paste and flax eggs in a large bowl.
- Add almonds, walnuts and oat flour to the mixture with salt.
- Make a dough with your hands.
- With the help of a rolling pin and baking paper, make a rectangle with the dough until obtaining a thickness of approximately 0.5 mm.
- Use a pizza cutter to form the cereals 2 cm wide by 2 cm high (you can help yourself with a ruler to make marks on the dogh's sides, see photos).
- Separate the squares before baking at 180ºC for 40 minutes, fliping in half time and until golden brown and crispy.
- Melt coconut oil (10 sec in the microwave) and add cinnamon.
- Before letting cool the cereals add the cinnamon oil mixture and mix (see photos).
- Let cool and then keep them in an airtight container, we use airtight glass jars.
If you want to make this recipe Gluten Free, make sure you use a certified GF oat flour or oats, normally written in the package.
If you want to make this cereals nut free, replace almonds and walnuts with the same amount of oat flour.