This Crispy Green Pesto Rice is a quick, tasty, and #ZeroWaste recipe! Don’t you know what to do with leftover basmati rice and vegan pesto sauce? Put them together! This recipe is tasty, light but full of flavor and different textures.
Ingredients for this Crispy Green Pesto Rice recipe:
- Leftover basmati or long rice
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and simple spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder)
- Leftover vegan green pesto: We use homemade or store-bought because here in Italy you can find very good quality vegan ones. Even high in protein with tofu! But you can make your favorite one or the one we share!
- Fresh green asparagus
- Some nuts (hazelnuts!)
Our favorite Lunch ideas:
This crispy green pesto rice is a quick, tasty, and #ZeroWaste recipe!
- 3 cups (or more) leftover basmati or long rice
- 1 Tbsp EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper
- 20 fresh green asparagus
- Some hazelnuts to garnish
- Leftover store-bought pesto or
Easy Green Pesto
- 1/2 cup almonds (55 g)
- 2/3 cup olive oil, plus extra for the jar (150 ml)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Large bunch of basil , roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , roughly chopped
- ½ lemon , juiced
- Sauté the fìgreen asparagus: Set a small sauté pan over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Cut the tips of the asparagus (you can use the tips for a homemade broth) and then add the asparagus to the pan. Let them toast without burning them (7 min).
- Sauté the rice: Set a large sauté pan over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Add the cooked basmati or long rice and then add salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Allow the rice to toast to crisp for several minutes (7 min).
- In the meantime, if you make homemade pesto: In a food processor add the almonds with garlic. Process them and then add the lemon juice with the chopped basil and process. Finally, add the olive oil with nutritional yeast and blitz until smooth. Season to taste. Spoon the pesto into a jar and top with a thick drizzle of olive oil to keep it in the fridge until one week.
- Garnish the rice: In the same big sauté pan, turn off the heat and then add 4 Tbsp of the pesto and toss. If you use more rice, add another tablespoon of pesto.
- Serve the Crispy Rice with sauté asparagus and chopped hazelnuts. Enjoy it warm or let it cool down for 10 minutes.
If you want to make this recipe Gluten Free and use store-bought pesto, make sure you use a certified GF pesto written in the package.