This Mediterranean Typical pasta is a staple in our diet here in Spain. The fideuá is typically made with any kind of ingredients and broth. We can find it in every restaurant around Catalonia.
This simple fideuá in particular is packed with flavor and lot of vegetables: onion, carrots, zucchini, red and green pepper and leek. Even if we are not from the Mediterranean area (we are from the Cantabria area, North of Spain) we often make this recipe because is so SIMPLE and QUICK to make and to batch cook.We also love to add some vegan alioli to the top while serving to mix it with the pasta. Here you have the step by step to make it:
Step 1: Prepare the vegetablesStep 2: Cut the vegetables in small pieces Step 3: Cook the vegetables; first the mushrooms separately, then the onion, carrot, pepper and leek, and finally zucchini. Step 4: Brown the pasta before adding the tomato sauce and the vegetable broth. The let the pasta cooking and finally turn the heat high to brown the bottom of the pan as we called socarrat (second photo).
It is a very flexible recipe since you can make it gluten-free by changing the type of pasta, you can even add tempeh, TVP or tofu to the recipe.
Want to save this Recipe for later? Pin the recipe to your Pinterest boards: If you make this recipe leave a comment and don’t forget to share it on Instagram, tag me @EarthyMaite + #EarthyMaite! I love seeing your delicious recreations 🙂
This Mediterranean Typical pasta also known as fideuá is packed with flavor and lot of vegetables. It is a staple because is so SIMPLE and QUICK to make.
- 250g pasta (noodles n. 4)
- 700ml vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Salt and ground pepper
- Mixed herbs and fresh parsley
- 1 red pepper
- 2 small green peppers
- 1/2 zucchini
- 3 medium carrots
- 1/2 white onion
- 1/2 red onion
- 6 mushrooms
- 1 leek stalk
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Cut the vegetables into small pieces (see the photo).
- First, in greased pan with EVOO (1 tbsp) cook mushrooms with garlic, salt, pepper and herbs until golden and set aside.
- Cook vegetables: In the same pan with more EVOO (2 tbsp), cook onion, carrot, peppers and leek with salt and pepper until golden.
- Add zucchini to the pan with other vegetables and cook.
- Set aside the vegetables with the mushrooms.
- Brown the pasta: Add more EVOO (1 tbsp) to the same pan and add the pasta stirring to brown it.
- Add the vegetables to the pasta with tomato sauce and vegetable broth.
- Stir and let it cook at medium heat for 15 mins.
- When the water evaporates and the pasta is cooked, turn the heat high and let 3 minutes to crispy and brown the bottom of the pan to make socarrat (typical Catalan term to name the bottom of the browned fideua).
TIP: When serving, top the fideua with a tablespoon of vegan alioli