Super creamy, and deeply flavoured Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip with a sprinkle of quality olive oil, sesame seeds and chili flakes. A simple but rich side to your weekend dinners.
Ingredients for this Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip:
- White onions: Sweet and tender onions to create perfect caramelization.
- Cashews and almonds: Make the creaminess for this dip by creating a smooth “sour cream”.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: The best Mediterranean fat to add depth flavor to the dip.
- Lemon juice and Apple Cider Vinegar: The perfect ingredients to create the sour cream effect and a balance between the sweet caramelized onions and the acidity of the lemon juice.
- Condiments: Garlic powder, soy sauce or tamari, salt, and pepper.
- Garnish: Sesame seeds, chili flakes, fresh minced parsley, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Tips for making this Caramelized Onion Dip:
- Do not try to rush cooking the onions too fast. The caramelization process takes time, you need low heat and control not to burn the onions stirring occasionally.
- Use raw cashews and raw peeled almonds for a very homogeneous and creamy sour cream.
- Make this dip at least one day ahead of time and store it in a sealed container or jar in the fridge. The flavour marinates and strengthens.
Craving more DIP Recipes? Here you will find more:
Super creamy, and deeply flavoured Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip with a sprinkle of quality olive oil, sesame seeds and chili flakes.
- 3 medium white onion
- 1 Tbsp EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 cup almonds (145 g)
- 1 cup cashews (140 g)
- 2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp chili flakes, optional
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Soak the cashews and peeled almonds for 2 hours in warm water or 20 min in hot water. You can also use only 2 cups of cashews and no almonds.
- Cook the onions: Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan over
medium heat. Slice the onions into half-moons and add them to the pan. Sauté the onions, stirring often, until they start to soften. Then, lower the heat. Keep cooking and stirring the onions occasionally until they are golden brown and sweet (40 min). Add some water if the onions start to stick. Set aside.
- Make the sour cream: In the meantime, drain the cashews and almonds and add them to a high-speed blender. Add the water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and sea salt. Blend the mixture for 2 minutes, stopping the motor to scrape down the sides of the blender if necessary. Add one more splash of water if needed. The result is a completely smooth sour cream.
- Mix everything together: Transfer the caramelized onions to a cutting board and chop them. Scrape the cashew sour cream into a medium bowl. Add the chopped caramelized onions, garlic powder, soy sauce, or tamari if Gluten-Free, salt, and pepper. Stir until the mixture is evenly mixed. Store the dip in a sealed container or jars in the fridge (up to 5 days).
- Serving: To a serving bowl add the dip and make swirls with the back of a spoon. Drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Sprinkle some chili flakes, sesame seeds, and fresh minced parsley. Serve it with crackers, nachos, raw vegetable sticks, or potato chips.