Need a hearty and comforting dip but also easy and one-pot? You found the right recipe! Zaalouk is a simple Moroccan dip made with eggplant, tomato, simple spices, and olive oil that is packed with flavor. This dip is full of Orient: cumin seeds, spice, and eggplant. You don’t need a fancy blender or food processor for this recipe, just a pot.
You can make it chunky or smooth, use it as a dip, side, or spread. It’s easy and delicious.
Zaalouk can be cooked in different ways and with different ingredients. To make it easier, I use a can of tomatoes that everyone has in their pantry.
Simple ingredients are needed: Fresh eggplant, canned tomatoes, fresh garlic, fresh parsley, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and spices.
How to prepare Zaalouk:
- Prepare the ingredients: Peel and cut in cubes the eggplant + Mince garlic + Chop fresh parsley.
- In a pot, add the oil with the spices to get fragrant, and then add the eggplant and garlic.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, covered.
- Add the can of tomatoes and stir continuously, allowing the eggplant and tomatoes to mesh together.
- Once softened, use a wooden spoon to mash the eggplant, and then add lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer, uncovered. Before serving, add the fresh parsley and combine.
- Serving: Drizzle some olive oil (we always use Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and garnish with lemon wedges, more chopped parsley, and olives. Enjoy with a good whole wheat sourdough toasts.
It is a recipe that reminds me of the flavors of my trip to Morocco at Christmas 2018. A trip to the capital, the desert, and the Atlantic coast full of good gastronomy different in each region.
Need more Dip Recipe Ideas? Check out our favorite ones:
- Eggplant Fresh Dip, not the traditional Babaganoush!
- Mushroom Walnut Paté super flavorful Vegan Paté
- Pink Hummus The Easiest and Prettiest Beetroot Hummus
- Edamame & Pea SpreadGreen DIP
- Sweet Potato & Peanut Butter DIP Super Easy 2-Ingredient Sweet Dip
Simple but hearty Moroccan Vegan dip made with Eggplant, tomato, simple spices, and olive oil that is packed with flavor.
- 1 eggplant
- 1 can whole peeled or diced tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes (or 1/4 tsp chili powder)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Peel and cut in cubes the eggplant.
- In a pot, add the eggplant, minced garlic, EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), cumin seeds, and chili flakes. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the can of tomatoes and let simmer for 15 minutes. Stir continuously, allowing the eggplant and tomatoes to mesh together.
- Once softened, use a wooden spoon to mash the eggplant.
- Add lemon juice. Stir and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, for another 5 minutes. The dip is ready to be served when it can coat the wooden spoon. Add 2/3 of the fresh parsley and combine.
- Serving: Drizzle some EVOO and garnish with lemon wedges, chopped parsley, and olives. Enjoy with a good whole wheat sourdough toasts.