This Italian fresh sauce is the perfect spring condiment. This simple vegan sauce has a fruity lemon flavor mixed with the fresh herbs that create an amazing combination with legumes, but also in pates, hummus, falafels, vegan meatballs, sandwiches…
Italian gastronomy is much more complex than pizza and pasta: there is a big variety of rice, legumes, and vegetable dishes and I love to learn more and more of them.
Gremolata Sauce is a typical sauce from the area of Milano and depending on which house we are in the recipe will be different (like every Italian dish basically hahaha).
It has a base of fresh herbs (usually parsley), EVOO, garlic, lemon zest, and salt.
Need more inspiration for Italian cuisine ideas? Check out our favorite ones:
- 1 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1/4 cup EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 1/2 lemons
- 2 garlic cloves
- Finely chop the parsley and basil and place in a small bowl.
- Using a microplane or a knife grate or chop the garlic and place over the parsley and basil.
- Zest finely the lemons on top of this mixture, taking care to not zest the white pith underneath the skin.
- Mix the garlic and lemon zest and then add the EVOO into the herbs.
- Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt.