This red pesto or Pesto Rosso pasta is one of the easiest and fastest healthy recipes. We only need the time it takes to cook the pasta (15 minutes!!) and 6 ingredients to make the pesto. We can also make the pesto and keep it in the fridge for when we want to eat it and have a healthy meal ready in two minutes! You only need 6 Ingredients to make this pesto: sun-dried tomatoes, walnuts, EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), Nutritional yeast, fresh parsley and garlic! The original Italian recipe of the red pesto or Pesto Rosso can be different depending on the region but in general, it is composed of: sun-dried tomatoes, nuts as almond or cashews, pecorino (a cured sheep cheese that we substituted with Nutritional Yeast), oil, fresh herb (basil in general) and spices.
This recipe instead takes only 6 ingredients that are integral and easy to find in our pantry, without complications! This healthy and comforting meal is full of nutrients since it is made with real and whole foods: healthy fats from the walnuts and EVOO and healthy carbs from the wholewheat pasta. We like to serve this pasta with some plant-based protein and roasted vegetables. Hungry for more Italian carbs? Check this EASY Roasted Pepper Pasta, these Easy Gnocchi in creamy Spinach sauce or this Vegan Fideua
This red pesto or Pesto Rosso pasta is one of the easiest and fastest healthy recipes. We only need the time it takes to cook the pasta (15 minutes!!) and 6 ingredients to make the pesto.
- 300g wholewheat pasta (Caserecce) or Gluten-Free pasta
- 2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (135g)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (39g)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (8g)
- 4 tbsp Extra virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) (47g)
- 1 cup fresh parsley (17g)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 6 tbsp water (70g)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blend: add sun-dried tomatoes, walnuts, nutritional yeast, fresh parsley, cloves of garlic, and spices to a food processor. Close the lid and begin to process, then use the opening in the device to slowly pour in the EVOO. For a more creamy consistency, add 6 tbsp of water and blend. Process until the walnuts are slightly chopped.
- Serve: season with additional salt if desired. Pour it in cooked wholewheat pasta (we love wholewheat Caserecce) or use your favourite one. Mix well and add more fresh parsley.
- Store: transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
This recipe is Gluten-Free if you use Gluten-Free pasta.